Reflex Mega City

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Reflex Mega City

A superhero RP and discussion board for Mature players and posters. Taking place in a unique Multiverse.

Special stuff

Blackstar
    Blackstar

Special stuff Empty Special stuff

Post  Blackstar Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm

NOTE: Currently, this is one of four dimensions which are attached to Dimension One. The other three are the Valiant City dimension the Prison dimension which holds the first ever and most powerful Dark Star Child and the alternate dimension to Dimension One.

Well, the ability to travel through time, space and dimensions is a staple of many science fiction stories, shows and movies. The ability to move through time, the ability to travel to another dimension is all great and wonderful but what many people fail to realize or acknowledge is that such things are not done lightly and more often than not, have following repercussions or disastrous consequences which more often than not affect everyone but the one who perpetrated the situation.

When it comes to dimension hopping, one individual may have little if any effect on the balance of things in the other dimension, but when it comes to powerful individuals, gods, celestial beings and the like, that's a whole new ball game. Each dimension is set and balanced a certain way, the normal give and take of anything. With the entrance of a powerful individual, god or celestial being, the balance is now disrupted, the scales tipping one way or the other. Even if this new being does nothing, their very presence still upsets the balance as though of same alignment may try to recruit while those of opposite alignment may attack. Such a thing happened in the Beyonder story in Marvel comics. The Beyonder was a powerful being from another realm who entered marvel's dimension and from there, all kinds of problems happened, including those who were interested in possessing his powers.

Personally, too many rp'ers use dimension hopping like they're heading down to the variety store or something. Think about it this way, your home is one dimension, the outside world is another. Would you allow those from the outside dimension to enter without your permission or move about doing and acting as they wish? It may be an over simplification of the situation but it makes sense.

So, in the Reflex Mega City dimension, dimension hopping is somewhat enforced and those who do hop here from other realms, will more often than not, find themselves sent home. This is more so of gods, celestial beings and such whereas a simple human or even meta may be allowed to go about their business, but they will be observed and watched.

Time travel! Oi! Now here's a power, ability, skill, whatever which many, so many rp'ers abuse and overuse. They use it for do-overs when an rp session doesn't go right or turns out bad. They use it, more often than not, as their own little, "I'll fix my boo boos from two minutes ago," self help programs. Either way one looks at it or their own personal thoughts about time travel, many will agree that the potential problems and disasters which could result from time travel are a clear and present danger. Irregardless of the science, philosophy and views about time travel, a good GM will always use and take advantage of such things, more often than not bringing about an eventual cost for whatever the need or reason was for time traveling. Time travel should be viewed as an ability that should only ever be used in a critical situation or an unavoidable event or such things as that, not as a way to fix a broken fingernail, or change the outcome of a bad date, or knock off some past world dictator.

The bad guys may use time travel to do their dirty work, but even they, to a point, abide by some principals and rules. A smart enough villain would quickly realize that time traveling back to eliminate a hated meta may very well result in some coinciding cataclysmic event or the plain and simple fact that another, more powerful meta could take the other meta's place. So for said villain, such an act would be rather counter productive.

Whether it be linear, circular, or creates multiple realities, time travel is something, that even in rp, cannot be taken lightly. I've run my rl marvel campaign for over five years and I do believe I've used time travel three times; one was an accident, one messed up things and the last one was to fix some of those messed up things.

The bottom line is I have no problems working with either one. I'm a fair GM and such but if a player takes a time traveling and/or dimension hopping character, I can try to work with it. But do realize that it means adding things to an already established multiverse, which means changing some things as well as the possibility of changing some of my character's actions and such.

So please, for simplicity's sake and a wee bit of my sanity, try to refrain from using such characters. If you still insist, then it needs to be hammered out.

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 am